Usually slipped disc is used for it to describe a wide range of back aches. But, in actual fact, the discs cannot slip. The discs in the spine are thick pieces of cartilage which join the bones, acting as shock absorbers. The center of the disc is like a very tough jelly, and it is surrounded by a thick bibrous capsule.
It occurs when one of the discs of cartilage between the vertebrae in the spine rapture. The disc is fused with the bones above and below it, and it is impossible for it to just slip out, like a slice of cucumber from a sandwich. Indeed, if a disc could slip out, it could equally be pushed back again.
Causes of Slipped Disc
What actually happens
- The fibrous shell bursts, letting the gelatinous center seep out or prolapse. The prolapse and fibrous debris press on the surrounding nerves, causing considerable pain.
- A prolapsed disc can occur in any part of the spine, but it is most common between the bottom two joints, where the spine takes the stresses of tilting forwards.
- Prolapsed discs can occur at any age, but are most common between 20 and 50, and are slightly more common in men than women.
- Research has shown that in normal spines the bones will crumble before the disc bursts.
- Usually through a natural process of degeneration with age, which results in the discs becoming dehydrated and weakened.
- A disc may also have been weakened in some other way causing it to prolapse; this can occasionally result from a sudden movement.
- Strenuous exercise, such as unaccustomed lifting of heavy weight.
- It is also more likely to occur in people who spend large amounts of time in a sitting position.
Symptoms of Slipped Disc
- Often, there is a day or two of vague aches and pains in the back before a disc prolapsed.
- The actual injury may be slight, but after prolapse the pain becomes so severe that the victim can not straighten up.
- After an hour or two the pain may affect the buttocks or legs, as the prolapse presses on more and more nerves.
- In some rare cases the nerves affecting the bowel or bladder may be damaged, leading to incontinence or difficulty in passing water.
- Full diagnosis is carried out with medical tests, including xrays, scans, and electrical activity test to measure damage.
Here we suggest you some tips and topical homemade massage oils mixtures to treat and heal prolapsed disc problem naturally. Because excessive use of painkiller may damage your stomach wall and may lead to ulcers. Its better to take external treatment to cure this problem.
Best Natural Tips to Treat Slipped Disc
Turmeric, Walnut Tree Bark, White Butter and Brown Egg Yolks
Turmeric – 4 to 5 tablespoons
- Walnut Tree Bark Powder – 4 to 5 tablespoons
- White Butter – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- Egg Yolks – 2 brown egg yolks
Shallow fry turmeric powder in white butter for 10-15 seconds on lower flame and mix walnut tree bark powder in it and mix well. Finely add egg yolks and mix it quickly to make a paste form and off the flame immediately. Now apply it on affected area quickly and wrap it with a cotton cloth piece. Leave it overnight and sleep on a straight bed. Next morning you will feel 50% reduction in pain and inflammation. Within 4-5 applications prolapsed discs problem will be cured positively.
Horsetail Leaves with Aloe Vera Gel
Make a fine powder with 50 grams dried horsetail leaves and add aloe vera gel as required to make a thick paste. Now make chickpeas size pill with this mixture. Daily take one pill with one glass lukewarm milk before going to bed. Within 4-6 weeks prolapsed disc problem will be cured internally.
Calotropis (Aak) Tree, Carom Seeds and Nigella Seeds
Make a powder with 250 grams dried Calotropis (Aak) tree root, 250 grams carom seeds and 250 grams nigella seeds. Keep this powder in a glass bottle. Daily take 1 or ½ teaspoon with milk or fresh water before having your every meal. Highly beneficial for prolapsed discs pain and inflammation. Eating this powder twice or thrice a week always keeps your backbone joints healthy and strong.
White Willow Bark
White willow bark acts like aspirin so it is very much beneficial to muscles pain, arthritis and diseases of the spine. Also reduces excessive body weight which causes pressure on spinal cord and leads to prolapsed disc. White willow bark powder work miraculously on prolapsed/herniated disc. Make a fine powder with 50 grams white willow bark and keep it in a glass bottle. Daily take a cup of boiled water and add ¼ teaspoon of white willow bark powder in it and simmer it for 5 to 6 minutes. Now take it like tea. With in one or two weeks you will feel significant improvement in pain and back bone.
Make a fine paste with fresh comfery leaves and apply this paste on affected area for 2-3 hours to heal the excessive pain and inflammation fast. Comfery bath speed up to healing joints and body inflammation. Qualified herbalist recommend to use it externally not internally.
Whole Wheat Grains Mattress
According to a research the scientists has invent a wonderful method to heal and treat this problem. Make a 3 feet wide and 4 feet long mattress and fill it with whole wheat grains. Sleep over this mattress for one or two months to get rid of backache and slipped disc problem naturally.
Best Homemade Massage Oils for Slipped Disc
Method No. (1)
- Alkanet Root (Ratanjot) – 10 grams,
- Cinnamon – 25 grams,
- Cloves – 10 grams,
- Dried Ginger Powder – 25 grams,
- Mace – 10 grams,
- Nutmeg – 2 Pcs.,
- Sesame Seeds Oil – 250 grams,
- White Turmeric – 25 grams.
Grind all the ingredients to make a powder. Heat the oil in a pan, when the oil heat up mixes the powder in it with a wooden spoon. After boiling it on low flame for 4-5 minutes off the flame and place it to cool. Filter the oil and preserve it in a glass bottle with a tight lid. Massage with this oil smoothly on affected area and cover it with a heating pad or warm woolen cloth. You will feel relaxed within few minutes effectively. Continued application of this massage best to treat prolapsed disc.
Method No. (2)
- Almond Oil – 100 grams,
- Pumpkin Seed Oil – 100 grams,
- Nigella Seed Oil – 100 grams,
- Cloves – 25 grams.
Put all the ingredients in Copper Pan and put it on low flame. Leave it until cloves turn into black then off the flame. Mash and mix cloves in the oil and leave it to cool. Keep it in a bottle. Massage the affected area to soothe tired muscles within few minutes. To keep your body muscles from pain massage with it daily before going to bed to heal the prolapsed disc problem.
Method No. (3)
- Brinjal – 1 medium size
- Sesame Seeds Oil – 2 Kg
- Cloves As required to Pinch
- Iron Utensil1- for boiling
Take one medium size Brinjal and cover it fully by pinching Cloves in it but avoid pinching upper green part. Dip it in 2 kg Sesame seed oil completely or put the oil in that iron utensil in which Brinjal dip completely. Put it on the stove on low flame overnight. Next morning off the stove and leave it to cool. Filter it with a cotton cloth piece and keep it in a glass jar with tight lid.
Daily take a smooth massage on your joints or back with a few drops of this oil but avoid taking a hard massage. Take this massage before going to bed and cover the affected area with warm cloth. Within few days you will get rid of joints, arthritis and back pain. Weekly 1 or 2 times massage keeps your joints from any pain and swelling.
Method No. (4)
- Olive Oil – 100 grams
- Pumpkin Seeds Oil – 100 grams
- Carom Seeds Oil – 100 grams
- Cloves Oil – 100 grams
- Ginger Powder – 2 to 3 tablespoons
Mix all Oils in saucepan and add ginger powder in it. Put it on the stove on lower flame and burn this ginger powder in these oils. Now off the flame when ginger powder seems black, filter it when cools down. Store it in a bottle with a lid.
Massage for 10-15 minutes with this oil twice a day especially before going to sleep. After Massage cover the affected area with woolen cloth for 25-30 minutes at least. It works marvelously and quickly on prolapsed disc pain and inflammation. With a continued use of this remedy will strengthen your back bone joints.
Improve Your Posture
How you hold your body is very important for walking comfortably and easily. With a good posture you will be able to breathe more easily and also avoid back pain and slipped disc, which is the most prevalent cause of disability in people under the age of 45.
Our bodies are designed with balance in mind, so if your posture is incorrect, you are placing added stress on the parts of your body that have to compensate in order to keep you upright.
What to Add and What to Avoid
- Take a healthy and nutritional diet daily with omega 3s. Or take 3-4 walnut kernels thrice a week for healthy bones.
- Never sleep on your stomach this may increase the problem and can be one of the causes to have a slipped disc problem.
- Strict bed rest on a flat bed or floor is the best treatment tip. The back must be well supported, and a small pillow or hot water bottle in the small of the back may be helpful.
- Bending the knees may also ease the pain.
- Recovery may take several weeks, depending on whether the disc has actually burst, or is just bulging out.
- Gentle exercise is important in helping the back to return to a healthy condition.
- Walking around 10 to 15 minutes thrice a day can be most supportive exercise to cure prolapsed disc.
- To reduce inflammation and excessive pain, take a cold bath first for 5 minutes than fill your bath tub with warm water, now add ¼ cup Epsom salt in it and sink in it for about 30 minutes. After taking a bath take a rest for one hour on your bed in a straight position.
- Physiotherapy is also wonderful treatment to get relief from pain and inflammation.
- If you consistently control or twist your back in an effort to relieve the pain, the disc will not heal properly. On other hand, manipulation too early may be dangerous.